Monday, January 23, 2012

Open Letter to My Atheist Friends--



Heard this song for the umpteenth time while getting ready for work this morning. Not only are most of my friends atheists, but my dearly beloved and departed father was an atheist. Folks I won't try to convert you to become an R.C. (only if you want to become a member of the coolest club on earth, but nobody's asking you)...so please don't try to shame me into being an atheist.

In the past 10 years I've:
--Gotten divorced twice
--Been homeless twice.
--Had $5.00 in my bank account.
--Had $150,000.00 in my bank account then lost it all by investing in high earning bank stocks circa 2006.
--Got laid off.
--Quit two jobs.
--Moved to a city where I knew NO ONE.
--My Dad died.
--My Mom died.
--Broke my ankle.
--Had two surgeries to repair said ankle.
--Spent two Christmases alone.

In the past 10 years I've:
--Fallen in love.
--Seen the world.
--Lived in paradise.
--Enjoyed life like never before.
--Spent two glorious Christmases alone.

What is my key to resiliency?
--Laughter.
--Friends & family.
--Rock N' Roll.
--Books.
--My job.
--The Internet.
--My religion.
--The delusional mojo bank account into which my parents made huge deposits of self confidence, love, if not cockiness. 

I carry a teeny Bible concordance in my purse (as a ready reference source to look up how much time I'm gonna spend in hell, purgatory, limbo respectively, should I just randomly commit the sin of let's say... adultery, sloth, or not keeping the sabbath holy, etc.) and will happily show you my holy card collection if you show me yours-- but I'm not a thumping, up in your grill evangelical Christian, and I'm pretty sure I've been excommunicated at least twice.

So please don't shame me, or change me...there's just too much whimsy and magic in the universe and in our hearts for me to explain.  Please don't try to save me, and I am certainly way too lazy to want to change you...but if you're interested in joining the club, I can point you in the right direction...
Sister Babs...Pray for us??  Just sayin'...I may not be your first (or last) choice, to have in your prayer corner.  Thank God for the comforts of the Confessional and Extreme Unction. 

11 comments:

  1. I wouldn't dream of trying to change you! Besides, it will be nice to have somebody in my corner in case I'm wrong and could use a good word on my behalf. Tell god I meant well. And, nice photo! You look deceptively innocent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Kay, if I don't say so... for an atheist, you're a better Christian than most card-carrying Christians... You don't have a thing to worry about...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame or change you? Never! One of my biggest beefs with holy rollers is their never-ending attempts to do just that to me! I've always used the Golden Rule as my guidepost to a moral life. I want you to do and be whatever makes you happy, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That doesn't look like an abbey...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kent it was "dress up day" at the studios on Abbey Road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yours is one of the most unique personalities I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I am a fan; but you scare me sometimes. I wouldn't want to change you. I just want you to continue landing on your feet. No more stumbles down the stairs; literally or figuratively. Warmest regards, Feckless Piker

    ReplyDelete