Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Sobbing for Saab...



"Saab still has its fans.  What other 50-year old car can you rally-stage with no modifications except an extra spare tire and electrical tape on the headlights?  What other 1980s car will run for 200,000 miles on the original engine and transmission without ever being apart.  What other 2000's used car will accelerate 30-70 faster than a Porsche 911 turbo for less than 10,000 dollars and still give you 32 mpg?  Yes, it's quirky. Yes, it's funky. Yes it smells weird when you run the heater too long (carbon monoxide anyone?). But when you need to get home in a snowstorm at 3 in the morning after four beers, three shots and dancing like a fool for four and a half hours, Saab will do it for you and then start in -4 degrees Fahrenheit for work the next morning.  We will miss you, our Scandinavian friend."  --anonymous

I too will miss my Scandinavian friend.  I have really loved my Saabs.  I know cars don't have souls, but my Saabs have taken me to wonderful places, protected my children, given me freedom, given me mojo, and were totally drivable with a horrifically broken right ankle.  Not to mention the "people of Saab" who always went that extra mile.  This bankruptcy upsets me as much if not more than General Motors.   

No comments:

Post a Comment