Friday, February 18, 2011

Florida State Fair

Decided to play hookey from the sweat shop and get me a snort full o' Florida State Fair goodness on Wednesday.

You aren't a true Floridian unless you attend this annual super fest o' Americana, so it was my duty as a citizen to attend this hot steaming mess of a corn dog State Fair.
 
What a fabulous day!! Despite my Mom's best "Hyacinth Bucket" pose, there's a whole lot of carnie blood pumping in these veins. 

Whilst waiting on line for a ride on the Tilt a Whirl, who did I run into, but the Dean of Discipline, himself Sam Shellhammer.  Sam was incognito, but Babs outed him with a "hail fellow well met," as the Dean tried to hide the deep fried Twinkee he was gnoshing on.

Then whilst chatting it up with the lady who charges 25 cents to shake her monkey's hand (plotting my retirement career), I turn around and 'sho 'nuff, there was the Head of Reference and his wife scarfing deep fried Oreos.  Well the list goes on and on.  Everyone from the University must've taken annual leave on that glorious day.
  
The denouement of the day was a joyous family reunion.....
Long lost cousin, 2x removed, Jerry Callahan.  We're going to stay in touch via Facebook. 

7 comments:

  1. My, my, it sounds like a lot of people needed the smell of grease in their nostrils and the cries of the carnies in their ears! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought corn dogs were an unfamilar delicacy for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, tell cousin Jerry I said "hayyy."

    ReplyDelete
  4. What did you ride? Did you see the pig races?

    ReplyDelete