Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Babs wants a Baby...

....not one of my own, but in my cabal of friends, not one is a bona fide BABY or even a cute kid.  Not that I've ever liked babies or kids all that much having grown up with 6 younger siblings.  I always liked my own kids, most of the time...

However, all my cohort is now in the granny business.  What does it mean to be a granny?  You really don't need to be "nice" to the baby, but you can chill wit it and be your regular old bad sef.  In fact, that's the job of a granny to be a little kooky and lovable.  Just the opposite of being a mom, which requires seriousness and constant effort and work...

I don't actually want to change a diaper, but I can imagine tooling around a hipster art show with a darling little baby in tow... of course the baby would have to be cute, and/or wear cute clothes.  And people would say "you're that baby's granny?  Can't be...you look too cool, hip. and young."

I need to also pass on important life lessons to a baby....how to travel, order up and down a menu, and what to look for in a boyfriend...  basically how to have fun.  Plus I'd like to see a little mini me, who can mix an extra dry martini, watch "Dazed and Confused" with me, and be granny's best friend.

"Hey Granny, can you come and get me?  My Mom's being a total BITCH."


5 comments:

  1. Check with your other offspring to provide a "hipster baby."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I want a "hipster baby," so I can be a hipster granny. Is that asking too much?

      Delete
  2. As your 'almost' twin, Babs, I've had to settle for being an aunt but it's worked out quite well. I've been through the 'baby' thing twice now. My 2 nephews are 21 and 19 but I also have 3 nieces, ages 5, 4 and 2. I love being 'auntie' and the looks on their faces when I skype them or go to visit them. Plus I get to spoil them and then leave my sisters to 'mop up' afterwards. I'm really glad 'my heirs' ended up being so far apart in age. I had almost forgotten after my nephews how sweet, cuddly and funny babies can be. I figure maybe in the next 10 years, maybe my nephews will have babies (not too soon, though) and I can do it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Babies are funny little creatures aren't they? So it seems, I'll just have to try to meet more babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally would like to be a granny - kids are cool and I bet being a mom is great - but the whole hipster granny idea, that sounds like the way to go.

    ReplyDelete