Sunday, October 30, 2011

48 Laws of Power

 
Did you ever notice how sometimes the right book comes along at the right time? I bought this book way back in '01, almost as a joke--it was so politically incorrect, but mostly for the stellar historical references-- remember, he who forgets the past is destined to repeat it. Little did I realize this tome was to become one of the most dog-eared and spine-cracked books in my collection. 

Initially, I was trying to make sense of the havoc that schemers and liars were wreaking upon me. I used to be naive & innocent... kinda. But then I started relying on some, but not all, of the laws to survive and thrive. Some great lessons from this book:

1. Learn to control your emotions.

2. Contingency. Flexibility. Have a "Plan B."

3. Learn from your past.

4. Life is a game, don't take it personally.

What I can't seem to learn is how to conceal my intentions, and play the role of a "courtier." That said, I can unconditionally and unequivocally recommend this book, just for the mini liberal arts "Western Civ" education you'll receive. Read it, you'll have some good conversation at random water coolers and cocktail parties, you might even score a spot on Jeopardy, but you'll definitely kick some poor, weak, sots ass at Trivial Pursuit.


For more book reviews by Babs visit: http://www.goodreads.com/group/bookshelf/50153.Simma_Down_Now_with_a_book_Summer_reading_program_2011_?shelf=read

3 comments:

  1. Keep calm and carry on. One of my favorite mottos. Just saw a variation of it the other day, keep calm and call mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Pack this in your stash for your T-Day visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You want to read the book little grasshopper?

    ReplyDelete