Friday, July 29, 2011

R.I.P. Uncle John T. Mitchell, J.D.

Dear Uncle John:

Thanks for:
  • being the only adult who spoke to me when I was between the ages of 15-20.
  • being my Dad's best friend through thick and thin, and the go-to Godfather.   
  • teaching me that nothing, including a literal wooden leg, should keep you from doing & going where you want.
  • introducting me to the Sunday N. Y. Times. 
  • all those great books you gave me over the years. 

To the "beauty operators" at the Swirl N Curl, Dad, Hegle, Uncle John, Dorothy may you enjoy your eternal Shearer Building in the sky. 

3 comments:

  1. Another notable item: Being 90 years old and gettin' down on the dance floor in your wheel chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claire. Yea, Uncle John was part of the eclectic, if not eccentric, "village" that helped raised us passel o' brats, and an honored emeritus guest at Madge's wedding, at which time he did get down w/his bad sef on the dance floor.

    ReplyDelete