Sunday, May 8, 2011

Seven things you DO need....

Overnight my readers sent me the following uplifting articles:

1.  http://money.msn.com/saving-money/7-things-you-do-not-need-anymore-weston.aspx
In addition to the above stated technological artifacts...another useless artifact would be that ridiculous sheepskin hanging on your wall, earned at the cost of blood, sweat, and tears (not to mention a marriage or two) from Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan
2. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/07/detroit-illiteracy-nearly-half-education_n_858307.html

Seven things you DO Need:
1.  Real living breathing friends.
2.  Real books not dependant on batteries, nor read on a screen.  Particularly helpful when you have no real friends, or to lend to your friends when you have some. 
3. Rock 'N Roll.
4. A big vocabulary replete with big words, that you can spell correctly to befuddle mere mortals. 
5. Cash stash.
6. A car.
7. A Good Mom.

What is a good mom?  Mine was.  She wasn't perfect, in fact all I wanted was a cool mom, which she wasn't... my mom was a tea-totalling, god-fearing quintessential pathetic creature... a 50's housewife:
My mom's typical day.

But my Mom gave me major "mojo."  Despite our obvious differences-- from birth, my Mom could not believe I was her progeny, nor I hers.  That said, she made me and my siblings think we were the best looking, smartest, funniest, most special people on the face of the earth.  Some may coin this "mojo" cockiness, if not hubris, so be it...but folks, that vainglory and optimism has gotten me through the massive shit life hands us all in due time, i.e. death, divorce, poverty, sickness, abandonment, etc... with courage and style.

Babs...drunk by six. 

Oh and best of all my mom taught me how to dress and decorate like a million bucks, and think no man/woman my better, when in reality I usually have only a five spot in my bank account.

Miss you today Mom.

Love,
Babs

5 comments:

  1. I'm with ya Babs! Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Babs. My mother raised 4 daughters -- none of whom followed her lead (she was a stay-at-home mom) -- who all became career women. Mom was (and still is) like a she-bear when it comes to her 4 cubs. We're the smartest, best-looking, etc. She also taught us manners -- not always seen in others, even ones raised in my generation.

    Even though we're 4 very different people, we all have some part of Mom in us. We're lucky to still have her around as we celebrated Mother's Day today.

    Oh, and, for the record, the REAL problem child was daughter no.3. I was daughter no.1. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back atcha with the manners. I have the following tatt...which was a cross stitch my Mom had hanging over her bed..."Good manners open all doors." And don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moms are always at the ready with mom-isms like that. I have a lot of my mother in me, which I am thankful for. My sisters and I are all quite different from each other, but we all have some Mom in us, for the better.

    ReplyDelete