Friday, September 24, 2010

Un-datable Cars

My work husband, Feckless Piker, and I had to attend a workshop this week on proper usage of the semicolon.  We drove in Piker's car that smelled like a colon. The unmistakable  miasma of rotting garbage assaulted my olfactory senses the minute I sat myself, like Miss Muffett on a Tuffet, on top of days old newspapers and trash littering the passenger seat.

"Dude your car has bad BO." 
"Oh, it's the garbage bag in the trunk."
"WTF?  Next time we're taking my car, are you sure it's not a severed head or the corpse of your Granny back there?"

Let me remind you we live in Florida.  In September the ambient air temp percolates to an afternoon high of 95 degrees.  The Piker has been tooling around town with a black plastic bag of rotting Kentucky Fried Chicken bones, banana peels, dirty Q tips, and who knows what else, fermenting in his trunk for a week.

"Dude you have cockroaches in this car."
"No I don't, you are SUCH a drama queen.  Where's the cockroach?"
"I can hear them scampering.  And why is there flypaper hanging from the rearview mirror, and 2 mouse traps in the back?"
 
To add insult to injury, a small flotilla of sea gulls followed, circling the motorized biohazard, pecking at the windows (requiring they remain rolled up), as if this vehicle was a garbage scowl on wheels.

We walked into the workshop, much to the consternation of fellow attendees, wreaking of eau d'garbage.

It's a step up from Piker's previous vehicle which necessitated I crawl in the passenger window to sit up front, or sit in the back ala Ms. Daisy, eking out a space amidst dirty underwear, and petrie dishes of Chik-Fil-A and Checkers detritus (and probably used condoms).  To add to the horror of riding in the old scowl, it had no air conditioning.  Battery powered oscillating fans from the Dollar Store provided relief during the warmer months of the year. Valets refused to park that car as they were afraid of contracting flesh eating bacteria.

Piker, your car was brand new and pristine a few short months ago.  It has slid into vehicular squalor with  alarming alacrity.  You ain't never gonna get laid,* or be a raconteur/bon vivant/ladies man if you insist on driving Grey Gardens on wheels.

Stay tuned for Part II of "Undatable/un-doable cars."

*Possible exception.  If you're lucky, a syphallictic, heavily tattoed, mind the gap, muffin-topped, carney girl taking tickets at "Cracker Country" at the Florida State Fair.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, some things never change! Ya gotta love the guy for it. He's a cheerful but unapologetic slob and that's why we love him. :) I didn't realize that car was new...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next day he still had the offending garbage bag in his trunk, which by then had begun to ooze liquid garbage juice. He tormented me by saying he was brewing up some "applejack" in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Babs your amusing renditions of events always make me smile! Don't pick on Piker--he's an unordothox yet slapstick funny feller!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Babs, you come from a long and proud history of rubbish vehicles. Remember the VOMIT?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, Jane, we might have lived in fancy schmancy houses, and wore groovy threads ala the Brady Bunch, but hands down we were the family with the shittiest vehicles. We could instantly turn a new car into a scowl. Remember the applie pie that mouldered in the back of the Red station wagon for years?

    ReplyDelete
  6. And, remember the brand new Mercury Marquis on its maiden voyage to Nurmi Court? After being parked in front of the house, Jimmy ran out to see the new wheels with a full box of Fruit Loops in hand. The entire box was dumped in the back seat within minutes of the car being parked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha. Totally blocked. Do you remember the time Dad pulled me out of bed on a Saturday morning, as usual I was totally hungover, as someone (one of my friends) peuked in the backseat of the red station wagon the night before, and failed to tell me. Or maybe they did tell me. All I know it was a gag-a-thon cleaning that mess up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I knew this would be good. My parents were positively (and my mother still is) ANAL about their vehicles. You could eat off them inside and out. To their shame, I can't say the same about mine but it's usually just dust and road dirt -- no food or anything rolling around in it. :P

    ReplyDelete